Title: Development and Communications Specialist
Exempt/Non-Exempt Status: Development and Communications Specialist a non-exempt position.
Reporting Structure: Development and Communications Specialist reports to the Director of Fund Development. Development and Communications Specialist has no direct reports.
Position Summary: The Development and Communications Specialist plays an integral role on the fundraising team by advancing awareness in the community, communicating with and engaging constituents, and cultivating new donors/volunteers. The specialist will be responsible for public relations administration, writing, media relations, and developing and activating PR plans and tactics, content and social media strategy.
The Development and Communications Specialist is responsible for support of fund development within but not limited to the areas of:
- Community leadership
- Fund development
- Grant writing
- Special Event management
Physical Demands: The Development and Communications Specialist position involves office work with frequent sitting, typing and reading from computer screens. The Development and Communications Specialist must also be able to communicate using a phone and email. The position also involves regular interactions with members of the community and thus involves some driving.
Schedule: The Development and Communications Specialist generally works Monday through Friday, on first shift. Occasional weekend and evening hours are required in order to participate in community outreach, fundraising, public relations activities, social media, and other job responsibilities. This is a full-time position that requires a staff member to work a minimum of 80 hours per two-week pay period.
- Four-year degree in communications, marketing, English, journalism, or related field desirable; equivalent experience accepted.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Must successfully pass all required background checks.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands described in the Schedule & Physical Demands section of this profile.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to modify a message based on the medium as well as on the preferred communication style of the intended audience.
- The ability to create a message with structural and visual elements that reinforce the purpose of the communication.
- Exceptional planning and organizing skills to ensure work objectives are accomplished efficiently.
- The ability to work effectively with people of all ages, abilities, faith backgrounds, income levels, and nationalities.
- Strong interest in media (traditional and social) and storytelling. Knowledge of PR trends, understanding of SEO, backlinks, keywords, and hashtag strategies important.
- Digital marketing experience including Google Analytics and Ads management, Adobe Creative Suite, and Raisers Edge preferred.
- The ability to both work independently and across multiple teams.
- Strong PC skills, including word document programs, spreadsheets, PowerPoint-type applications, and databases.
Essential Job Functions
- Create and implement an effective, consistent, ongoing social media presence in order to increase awareness and support of our mission. Utilize our existing social media accounts while building our influence through additional platforms.
- Create strategies to optimize social media content to improve audience engagement;
- Develop an online giving campaign that utilizes and grows our existing donor database.
- Maintain organizational web site and modify as necessary.
- Create timely newsletter articles and content.
- Develop and sustain a communications strategy with appropriate benchmarks and goals.
- Ensure that all messaging is consistent with Goldie B. Floberg mission and values.
- Protect organization’s value and manage risk by keeping information confidential.
- Engage with local civic, faith, and business groups to become supporters and active volunteers.
- Work closely with all others on Goldie B. Floberg staff to understand and fulfill the organizational need for funds, awareness, and volunteers to support our mission.
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers.
- Maintain database of donations and contacts.
- Support annual fund development plan and donor stewardship.
- Prospect, write, submit, and monitor grant applications in support of volunteer projects and programs.
- Seek appropriate grant opportunities through businesses, foundations, civic groups.
- Report back to grantmakers as requested on the status and usage of grants received.
Special Event Management:
- Serve as the primary organizer of the annual “Farm to Table” donor recognition event.
- Provide support and leadership to event planning committees.
- Identify and assist cultivation of event donations, sponsors, and partners;
- Lead the creation and execution of all other special events, including local and online cause marketing events.
- All other duties as assigned
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com